In 2012, HM Government launched the 10 Steps to Cyber Security guide to encourage organisations to consider their cyber security measures and to ascertain whether they thought they were managing their cyber risks sufficiently. Following this, in 2014, the Cyber Essentials scheme was introduced.
Gaining Cyber Essentials certification allows organisations to demonstrate themselves as trustworthy and secure when it comes to cyber security.
The certification defines a focused set of controls which provide clear guidance on basic cyber security. Allowing organisations of all sizes a solid foundation for their cyber security measures. In short, all types of organisations can implement Cyber Essentials at a low cost.
What are the benefits of having Cyber Essentials?
- Comply with UK government basic cyber security requirements
- Demonstrates control of your business network security
- Protect against 80% of common cyber attacks
- Protects your business from data theft
- Helps drive business efficiency and cost saving
- Promote your commitment to cyber security
There are two levels to this certification:
- Cyber Essential – Internally audited
- Cyber Essentials+ – audited/certified by an external accredited organisation